Fresh Spring Rolls
This recipe for spring rolls is courtesy of chef Bobby Chinn and can be found in his cookbook, "Wild, Wild East."
The Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2008
- 1/2 pound thin Vietnamese rice vermicelli
- 8 (8 1/2-inch) rice papers
- 8 large lettuce leaves, such as frisee, butter, or red oak
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 8 large shrimp, cooked, peeled, and halved lengthwise
- 24 fresh chives
- Fish Sauce Dip (Nuoc Cham) (http://www.marthastewart.com/257388/fish-sauce-dip-nuoc-cham), for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Add vermicelli to boiling water and cook just until soft. Immediately transfer vermicelli to ice-water bath to cool. Drain and cover with a damp towel until ready to use.
- Fill a clean spray bottle with water and mist the surface of the rice papers to moisten. Cover with a damp towel and set aside.
- Place another damp towel on work surface. Lay one rice paper on top of towel. Place a lettuce leaf on the bottom third of the rice paper and top with 1/8 of the vermicelli, cilantro, and mint leaves. Roll rice paper away from you, about halfway, pressing down to form a tight cylinder. Fold about 1 1/2 inches from each side over the filling.
- Place 2 shrimp halves, cut sides down, over the crease. Top with 3 chives so that about 4 inches of the chives stick out at one end. Continue rolling rice paper away from you to form a cylinder. Seal edges with a little water. Repeat entire process with remaining rice papers and filling.
- Cut rolls in half and serve with fish sauce dip.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.