Photo: Petrina Tinslay
Everyday Food, June 2011
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced medium
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, diced medium
- 2 jalapenos, stems and seeds removed, diced small
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (from a 15.5-ounce can)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Coarse salt
- In a medium pot, heat vegetable oil over medium. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapenos; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 4 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and white vinegar. Season with salt and bring to a rapid simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with vinegar and salt.
To store, refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 1 week.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.