- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) jar apple butter or applesauce
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed dark-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups apple juice
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is translucent, about 1 minute. Add cumin and cayenne; cook 1 minute. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute.
- Stir remaining ingredients into onion mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Partially cover; simmer, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours. If sauce becomes too thick, add water, a little at a time. Let cool. Puree sauce in batches in a blender until smooth.
Sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 weeks.