Martha Stewart Living, April 1999
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for bowl and cans
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large whole egg plus 8 large egg yolks
- 3 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean, very finely minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 cup candied citron, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Combine 1/4 cup milk and 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Melt butter; remove pan from heat. Whisk in 1/4 cup flour and whole egg; set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast, 1/4 cup warm water, and 1 teaspoon granulated sugar; let sit until creamy, about 5 minutes. Add yeast mixture to flour mixture; let mixture sit, covered, in a warm place until bubbling and doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Place remaining cup granulated sugar and 3/4 cup butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add salt and egg yolks; beat until thick and creamy, 3 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup milk, vanilla, cardamom, nutmeg, and saffron. Add the yeast mixture and remaining teaspoon yeast.
- Fit mixer with dough hook; generously butter a large bowl. With mixer on low speed, gradually mix in remaining 3 3/4 cups flour. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Add citron, raisins, currants, and slivered almonds; knead until combined. Place in buttered bowl; cover tightly with plastic. Let rise until doubled, about 3 hours.
- Butter insides of two clean 13-ounce coffee cans. Line bottoms and sides with parchment paper, letting paper extend 1 inch beyond rims of cans. Divide dough in half; put into cans. Cover with plastic; let rise until dough reaches tops of cans, about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake loaves until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Place cans on sides on a wire rack; cool slightly. Turn out; remove paper. Stand upright on rack, and cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, heavy cream, and lemon juice. Drizzle glaze over loaves, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.