Photo: Sang An
Ice cream cones are a replacement for the usual fried shells in this fun twist on the Italian classic.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2011
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time up to overnight
- Yield Makes 10
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 10 sugar cones
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped and melted
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped salted, roasted pistachios
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons Marsala wine
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped, pod reserved for another use
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied orange peel (<a href="http://kalustyans.com" target="_blank">kalustyans.com</a>)
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Place ricotta in a fine sieve set over a bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until drained, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Break off a portion of the top of each cone to create a 1 1/2-inch-deep arc on 1 side. Holding each cone at an angle, dip about 1/4 inch of rim into melted chocolate, and immediately sprinkle with pistachios, reserving some for garnish. Transfer to a parchment-lined sheet, broken side up. Refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes.
- Mix together ricotta, sugar, wine, and vanilla seeds. Mix in orange peel and chocolate chips.
- Transfer ricotta filling to a pastry bag fitted with a large open-star tip. Pipe filling into cones. Sprinkle with reserved pistachios. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.