Hot Buttered Pretzels
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons regular instant yeast
- About 1 cup warm water
- Pretzel salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk to combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast. Slowly add water. The quantity you add will be determined by the humidity in the air. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Knead until soft and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Dust the dough with flour, and place in a plastic bag. Seal the bag, leaving room for the dough to expand. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Spray work surface with cooking spray. Transfer rested dough to work surface. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces, about 2 1/2 ounces each. Roll each piece into a long thin rope, 28 to 30 inches long. Twist each rope into a pretzel. Dip each pretzel in warm water. Place on prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle lightly with pretzel salt. Let rest, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Bake until golden brown, 8 to 9 minutes. Remove from oven, and brush thoroughly with melted butter. Continue to brush until you have used all of the butter. Serve warm, or reheat in a warm oven.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.