- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (<a href="http://penzeys.com" target="_blank">penzeys.com</a>)
- Coarse salt
- 4 3/4 cups pecans (1 1/4 pounds)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Whisk egg white in a large bowl until foamy, about 30 seconds. Whisk in sugars, soy sauce, five-spice powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add pecans, and toss to coat using a rubber spatula.
- Transfer pecan mixture to a parchment-lined baking sheet, and spread into a single layer using rubber spatula. Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Transfer sheet to a wire rack, and let stand until cool and hardened, about 30 minutes.
Nuts can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.