This recipe makes our famous giant cookies, perfect for decorating with Royal Icing or any simple glaze. Also pictured here are Chocolate Cookies and Gingerbread Cookies.
Learn how to make Sugared Heart Cookies.
Martha Stewart Living, February 1996
Yield Makes about 16 large cookies or 30 2 1/2-inch cookies
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, or 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup fine sanding sugar, for decorating (optional)
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs.
- Add flour mixture, and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Stir in vanilla or lemon juice and zest. Wrap dough in plastic; chill for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets; refrigerate until firm, 15 minutes. Remove from refrigerator, and decorate with sanding sugar, if desired. Bake until edges just start to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.