More gelato recipes: Blood-Orange Gelato, Gingersnap Gelato, Pistachio Gelato, Coconut Gelato, Ricotta Gelato, Mint Chocolate Chip Gelato.
Yield Makes about 1 quart
- 2 cups unblanched hazelnuts (1/2 pound)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Frangelico
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread nuts on a baking sheet, and toast in oven 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely, remove skins, and coarsely grind.
- Combine milk and ground hazelnuts in a medium saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, cover, and remove pan from heat. Let steep 2 hours. Pass through a cheesecloth-lined sieve, pressing hard on solids. Reserve strained milk, and discard solids.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream at medium-high speed until very thick and pale yellow, 3 to 5 minutes. Return milk to a simmer.
- Add half of the warm milk to egg-yolk mixture, and whisk until blended. Return new mixture to saucepan with remaining milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Have ready an ice-water bath. Remove saucepan from heat, and immediately stir in cream and Frangelico. Pass mixture through a sieve set over a medium bowl. Place bowl in ice-water bath, and chill.
- Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
Store in an airtight plastic container up to 2 weeks.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.