Cashew curry, a popular Indian dish, is the inspiration for this snack. The sweet coconut flakes subdue the heat of the spice.
Photography: Sang An
Martha Stewart Living, June 2011
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
- Serves 4
Yield Makes 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Coarse salt
- 2 cups unsalted roasted cashews (9 ounces)
- 1/2 cup large unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in curry powder, and cook until toasted, about 1 minute. Stir in sugar, water, honey, and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt. (Mixture will resemble wet sand.) Add cashews, and toss to coat using a rubber spatula.
- Transfer cashew mixture to a parchment-lined baking sheet, and spread into a single layer using rubber spatula. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, stir, and sprinkle with coconut. Bake until cashews and coconut are golden, 6 to 7 minutes more.
- Transfer sheet to a wire rack. Stir nuts, and let stand until cool and hardened, about 30 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.