Chocolate Bundt Cake
The dessert's elegant appearance belies its simple make-ahead preparation.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2008
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream (4 ounces)
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
FOR THE GLAZE
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Cognac or rum (optional)
- Tangerines, for serving
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 14-cup Bundt pan. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Mix milk and sour cream in a small bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low, and add flour mixture, alternating with milk mixture, ending with flour. Fold in walnuts, if using. Spoon batter into pan. Bake until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Invert cake. (Cake will keep for up to 1 day.)
- Make the glaze: Place chocolate in a bowl. Heat cream in a small saucepan until simmering, then pour over chocolate. Let stand for 2 minutes. Add butter and Cognac or rum, if using, and mix until smooth. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Pour glaze over cooled cake. Slice, and serve with tangerine segments.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.