Mint Mashed Potatoes
Martha Stewart Living, April 1997
- 3 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- 5 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut potatoes into eighths, and place in a small stockpot. Add the milk, salt, and all but about 3 mint sprigs. Place over high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium high, and gently boil the potatoes, stirring occasionally, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from the heat. Remove and discard the mint sprigs, and drain potatoes in a colander reserving about 2/3 cup milk. Pass the potatoes through a food mill or potato ricer into a large bowl. Add butter and reserved milk; season to taste with salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly to combine. Pick the leaves from remaining mint sprigs, slice into thin ribbons, and stir into the mashed potatoes. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.