Roasted Tomatillo-Chile Salsa
This salsa works well with our Pork Tamales.
Photography: John Kernick
Martha Stewart Living, October 2007
- 10 ounces tomatillos, husks removed, tomatillos rinsed and dried
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 Hatch chile or Hungarian wax chile
- 3 chipotle chiles (canned in adobo sauce), rinsed and seeded
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- Preheat broiler. Place tomatillos, garlic, and Hatch chile on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, turning occasionally, until charred, about 10 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic from skins into a blender. Scrape and discard charred skin from Hatch chile, remove seeds, and add chile to blender with tomatillos, garlic, and chipotles. Process until combined. Add salt, sugar, and cilantro. Pulse until smooth.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.