Number-Themed Mini Birthday Cupcakes
Arrange these cupcakes to form the age that's being celebrated.
Martha Stewart Living, January
- Prep Time 3 hours 20 minutes
- Total Time 4 hours 5 minutes
- Yield Makes about 7 dozen
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons safflower oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- <u>Swiss Meringue Buttercream</u>
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line mini muffin tins with baking cups. Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt into a large bowl. Mix in eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl, until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Working in batches, divide batter evenly among cups, filling each two-thirds full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until tops spring back when pressed with a finger, about 20 minutes. Let cupcakes cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a fine star tip, pipe buttercream onto cupcakes to decorate.
Unfrosted cupcakes can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.