Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Use this recipe for our Number-Themed Mini Birthday Cupcakes, "Who's Counting?" Birthday Cake, or Pastel Layer Cake.
Martha Stewart Living, January
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield About 10 cups (enough for 7 dozen Number-Themed Mini Birthday Cupcakes, 1 "Who's Counting?" Birthday Cake, or 1 Pastel Layer Cake)
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 10 large egg whites, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 8 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Gel-paste food coloring (optional; <a href="http://nycake.com" target=_"blank">nycake.com</a>)
- Heat sugar, egg whites, and salt in a heatproof mixer bowl set over a pan of simmering water, whisking, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Return bowl to mixer, and whisk, gradually increasing speed from low to medium-high, until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 10 minutes. Reduce speed to medium. Add butter, a few pieces at a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in vanilla. Switch to a paddle attachment. Beat until air bubbles are gone, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Beat in food coloring, 1 drop at a time, until desired color is achieved. (If making more than 1 color, divide buttercream and work in batches.)
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.