Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce and Parsley Salad
Ground lamb patties are spiced with Madras curry powder and seared on the grill for a tender, flavorful burger.
Mad Hungry, May 2011
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup packed parsley leaves
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 individual pitas or 4 regular pitas
- Preheat the outdoor grill or indoor grill pan.
- In a bowl combine lamb, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and curry powder. Form into 8 3-inch by 2-inch oblong patties. Set aside to come to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, make the tzatziki sauce and parsley salad.
- For the tzatziki sauce: In a medium bowl combine yogurt, cucumber, mint, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and lemon zest and juice. Set aside.
- For the parsley salad: In a medium bowl combine tomato, parsley, red onion, and olive oil. Set aside.
- When the burgers have come to room temperature and the grill is hot, grill the burgers to desired doneness, about 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Stuff burgers, tzatziki sauce, and parsley salad into pitas and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.