- 2 quarts canola oil or Crisco
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beer (not dark)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 fresh jalapeno peppers, slit lengthwise down one side to create a pocket, stem end intact, seeds removed, if desired
- 4 ounces cream cheese, or grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, plus more if needed
- 1 cup sour cream or <u>Blue Cheese Dressing</u>
- In a deep fryer or medium stockpot, heat oil to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with paper towels; set aside.
- To make the batter, combine flour, beer, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine; set aside.
- Stuff each jalapeno with 1/4 ounce of cheese. Working in batches, dip jalapenos into batter, turn to coat, and drop into fryer until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to prepared baking sheet to drain. Serve immediately with sour cream or blue-cheese dressing.
When preparing this snack, you may want to wear latex gloves since jalapeno juices can irritate skin.