Citrus Cornmeal Shortbread
Coating the outsides of the dough with cornmeal or sanding sugar lends a lovely bit of crunch.
Holiday Cookies 2005
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and zest. Mix until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add flour, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, and salt; mix until well combined, about 3 minutes. Halve dough; shape each into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place remaining 1/4 cup cornmeal on a sheet of parchment paper. Roll log in cornmeal to coat. Cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, and space them 1 inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until pale golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on sheet on a wire rack.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.