Radicchio and Endive Side Dish
Sauteed radicchio and Belgian endive are tossed with a chickpea and walnut mixture for a hearty side.
Mad Hungry, May 2011
- 3 heads radicchio
- 3 heads endive
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- Tear radicchio and endive leaves into bite-size pieces and rinse in a strainer. Shake out all of the water.
- In a large skillet, saute 2 cloves of chopped garlic with about 2 tablespoons of oil. When garlic is beginning to slightly brown, throw in the radicchio and endive. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with a bit more olive oil. Stir radicchio and endive and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid browning too much.
- Meanwhile in a smaller skillet, add remaining chopped garlic clove with a tablespoon of olive oil. As garlic browns, add chickpeas and the 3/4 cup of walnuts. Season with a little salt and pepper and a drop of olive oil and stir. Cook for 3 minutes, until chickpeas are heated through.
- Pour radicchio and endive into a serving bowl. Then pour the chickpea/walnut mixture on top. Serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.