Peach and Buttermilk Sherbet
This dessert celebrates summer's just ripening crop of stone fruits.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2007
Yield Makes about 1 quart
- 4 large ripe yellow peaches (about 1 3/4 pounds), pitted and quartered
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup whole milk
- Bring peaches and sugar to a gentle simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until peaches are soft, about 20 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Puree peaches and their syrup in a food processor. Pass through a medium sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
- Whisk together corn syrup, lemon juice, and salt, and pour into peach puree. Whisk in buttermilk and milk. Cover, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions, until thick and creamy, 35 to 45 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.