Everyday Food, December 2005
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile (seeds and ribs removed, for less heat), minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels, unthawed
- 1/2 pound frozen large peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed (see note, below) and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, heated according to package instructions
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup green or red salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add onion, jalapeno, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and corn; cook, stirring occasionally, until corn is heated through and tomatoes are soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately with tortillas, cabbage, salsa, sour cream, and lime wedges.
To thaw frozen shrimp at the last minute, place in a sealed plastic bag in a bowl of room-temperature water. (Change water once or twice, as it becomes cold.) Shrimp will be ready to use in about 10 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.