Almond Crunch Ice Cream Cake
When ready to serve, allow cakes to soften in the refrigerator for thirty minutes; run a sharp knife under hot water for a few seconds, dry the knife, and cut the cake. Repeat, rinsing knife between cuts.
Martha Stewart Living, July/August 1998
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons amaretto, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Almond Sponge Cake (http://www.marthastewart.com/281252/almond-sponge-cake)
- 4 pints vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
- Almond Crunch (http://www.marthastewart.com/281234/almond-crunch)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Place granulated sugar and 1/3 cup water in a small saucepan; set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. When sugar has dissolved, remove from heat; add amaretto, if using, and almond extract. Let syrup cool.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the two cake layers in half horizontally, forming four layers. Crumble one into the bowl of a food processor; process until fine crumbs form. Set aside.
- Generously brush tops of remaining three cake layers with cooled syrup. Place one cake layer on a 6-inch cardboard cake round.
- Place ice cream in the chilled bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on medium-low speed until spreadable, about 2 minutes. Spread 2 cups ice cream over first cake layer. Crumble 1/2 cup almond crunch over ice cream. Top with a second cake layer. Transfer cake and ice cream to freezer until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Remove cake and ice cream from freezer. Spread 2 cups ice cream over top. Crumble 1/2 cup almond crunch over ice cream. Place third cake layer on top. Spread 2 cups ice cream over cake layer. Transfer cake and ice cream to freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove cake and ice cream from freezer; stir remaining ice cream with rubber spatula to resoften. Using an icing spatula, quickly spread remaining 2 cups ice cream around sides of cake. Return cake to freezer for 30 minutes.
- In a chilled bowl, whip cream and confectioners' sugar with a hand mixer until soft peaks form. Remove cake from freezer; frost top and sides of cake with whipped cream. Pat reserved crumbs onto sides of cake, and crumble remaining cup almond crunch over the top. Return cake to freezer; freeze until completely hardened, at least 2 hours or overnight.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.