- 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 heads escarole (2 pounds total), cored, trimmed, and coarsely chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Thinly slice off both ends of one lemon. Cut into 8 thin slices. From remaining lemon, squeeze 1 to 2 tablespoons juice into a bowl.
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in escarole and 1/2 cup water. Arrange cod on top; season with salt and pepper. Place two lemon slices on each fillet. Cover, and cook until cod is opaque throughout, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Transfer cod to a plate. Stir lemon juice into escarole mixture. Serve cod with escarole.
On the show, Martha used just 4 lemon slices (instead of 8) and squeezed half an orange over the cooked fish and escarole.