A delicate flavor and light texture keep this frosting from being overwhelming. Coconut cake or lemon meringue cake are excellent bases for this frosting.Also try: Basic Buttercream, Ganache, and Chocolate Frosting
Martha Stewart Living, September 2010
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat 1 1/2 cups sugar, the water, and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Raise heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Cook, washing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from formiing, until syrup reaches 230 degrees on a candy thermometer. Once syrup reaches 230 degrees, remove from heat immediately.
- Meanwhile, with a mixer on medium speed, whisk egg whites to soft peaks. Whisk in remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Reduce speed to medium-low, and pour syrup into egg whites in a slow, steady stream down the side of the bowl. Raise speed to medium-high, and whisk for 6 minutes. Add vanilla; whisk until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. Use immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.