- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (7 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Vanilla Buttercream Filling (http://www.marthastewart.com/285210/vanilla-buttercream-filling)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with racks in upper and lower thirds. Whisk to combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup coconut. Place remaining coconut in a food processor; pulse until coarsely ground.
- Beat butter and both sugars with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low, and gradually add flour mixture and ground coconut; mix until just combined.
- Drop dough by level tablespoons onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 1 to 2 inches apart. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until lightly golden around edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dividing evenly, spread filling on flat sides of half the cookies; sandwich with remaining cookies. Roll edges in 1/2 cup reserved coconut, and chill until ready to serve.
Cookies can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days.