Photo: Josh Titus
Making monkey bread lets kids do what they do best -- play with their food -- while they create something yummy.
Martha Stewart Kids, Holiday
- Prep Time 1 hour 45 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield Makes one 10-inch Bundt cake
For the bread:
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening, plus more for pan and bowl
- 1/4 cup warm (110 degrees to 115 degrees) water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus a pinch for yeast
- 1 envelope dry active yeast (scant tablespoon)
- 3/4 cup warm (110 degrees to 115 degrees) milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
For the coating:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
For the icing:
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Lightly coat a 10-inch Bundt pan and a medium bowl with shortening; set aside. Put the warm water and a pinch of sugar in a small bowl; sprinkle yeast over top. Stir; let the yeast soften and dissolve, about 5 minutes.
- Place shortening, milk, sugar, salt, and egg in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook.
- Add yeast mixture to shortening mixture, and beat to combine. Slowly add flour. Knead on medium-low, 1 minute. Transfer dough to the prepared bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and let stand in a warm place, 20 minutes.
- Make coating: Place melted butter in a bowl. In a second bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts; sprinkle 2 tablespoons nut mixture into prepared Bundt pan.
- Cut dough into 1/2-inch pieces. Roll into balls. Coat in butter, then roll in nut mixture, and place in prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate, and let cool 20 minutes more.
- Make icing: In a small bowl, combine milk and confectioners' sugar. Stir until smooth. Drizzle over bread.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.