Spring Onion Soup
Spring onions look like scallions but have a larger, rounder bulb. If they are unavailable, use yellow onions.
Martha Stewart Living, March 2009
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 60 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 pounds spring onions (or yellow onions), trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/4 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 8 pieces crisp flatbread, for serving
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent but not brown, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in salt, stock, and water. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let cool for 20 minutes. Working in batches, puree in a blender, starting on low speed and gradually increasing to high, blending until soup is smooth.
- Divide soup among 4 bowls, drizzle with oil, and serve with flatbread on the side.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.