Oatmeal and Dried-Cherry Biscuit Scones
Try these oatmeal and dried-cherry biscuit scones for a tasty snack. For more delicious recipes featuring Quaker Oats, visit quakeroats.com.
The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2009
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Fine sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut butter into oat mixture until the mixture resembles a coarse meal; whisk in dried cherries. In another medium bowl, mix together egg, buttermilk, and vanilla and almond extracts until well combined. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; mix until well combined.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface; roll out to a 1-inch-thick 8-by-6-inch rectangle. Cut biscuits into eight 2-by-3-inch rectangles using a sharp knife; transfer biscuits to prepared baking sheet. Brush biscuits with buttermilk and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Transfer biscuits to oven and bake until tops are lightly browned, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.