Classic Diner-Style Chocolate Pie
This is a wonderful dessert recipe for classic diner-style chocolate pie, courtesy of Baked's Matt Lewis.
Photo credit: Matt Lewis
The Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2008
- Yield Makes one 9-inch pie
- 30 chocolate wafer cookies (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons chocolate malt Ovaltine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces dark chocolate (60 to 70 percent cacao), coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces milk chocolate, coarsley chopped
- 2 teaspoons whiskey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream (http://www.marthastewart.com/256405/vanilla-bean-whipped-cream)
- Make the crust: Place cookies in the bowl of a food processor and process until a fine powder is formed. You should have about 1 1/2 cups. Transfer crumbs to a medium bowl and stir in sugar. Add melted butter and mix until well combined; mixture should feel wet.
- Turn crust mixture out into a 9-inch round pie plate. Using the back of a large spoon, press the mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides. Transfer crust to freezer.
- Make the filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, Ovaltine, salt, and cornstarch. Add egg yolks and whisk until combined; mixture will look like a thick paste. Slowly pour in milk and cream, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly; let boil for 30 seconds and immediately remove from heat.
- Add chocolates, whiskey, and vanilla; whisk until well combined and mixture has cooled slightly. Let stand, at room temperature, for 15 minutes. If a thin skin forms on the filling while cooling, whisk until skin is gone. Remove pie crust from freezer and pour filling into the crust. Refrigerate for 4 hours before serving. Serve with Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.