Roasting eggplant results in a smoky, earthy dip. Homemade garlic chips add crunch. Serve the dip spread onto grilled flatbread.
Martha Stewart Living, March 2011
- Yield Makes 3 cups
- 3 medium eggplants (about 3 pounds total)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses (<a href="http://chefswarehouse.com" target="_blank">chefswarehouse.com</a>)
- 1 teaspoon minced or finely grated garlic, plus 3 cloves, very thinly sliced lengthwise
- Coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roast eggplants on a baking sheet until collapsed and very tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel, and discard skins. Transfer flesh to a colander, and let drain for 15 minutes. Finely chop eggplant, and transfer to a bowl. Stir in 3 tablespoons oil, the molasses, minced garlic, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the sliced garlic in a skillet over medium heat until garlic is golden, 6 to 7 minutes. Drizzle garlic oil over dip, and garnish with garlic chips.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.