Roasted Eggplant Dip
Serve this chunky dip with crusty French bread that has been thinly sliced, brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and toasted to a golden brown in a 450 degree oven.
Photography: RICHARD GERHARD JUNG
Annual Recipes 2004
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 8 ounces creme fraiche or sour cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat broiler. Pierce eggplant several times with a fork, and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, turning every 5 minutes, until skin is blackened all over and flesh is very soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Peel off and discard blackened skin; place flesh in the bowl of a food processor, and puree until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl. Stir in creme fraiche and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature with toasted bread, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.