This delicious recipe for fried oysters is courtesy of chef Emeril Lagasse and is used to make his Greens with Fried Oysters and Buttermilk Dressing.
The Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2008
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence (http://www.marthastewart.com/255678/emerils-original-essence)
- 1/2 cup masa harina (corn flour)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 24 freshly shucked oysters, drained
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, mix together buttermilk and 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence. Add oysters and turn to coat; let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, mix together masa harina, flour, and remaining tablespoon essence; set aside.
- In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan with high sides, heat oil to 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Dredge oysters in masa harina mixture, shaking off any excess. Working in batches, carefully add oysters to hot oil and cook, turning, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer oysters to a paper towel-lined plate; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.