Martha Stewart Living, April 2008
FOR THE CRUST
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
FOR THE FILLING
- 1/2 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons almond paste
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup soy cream cheese, preferably Tofutti
- 5 tablespoons apricot jam
- 4 cups assorted berries
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch fluted tart pan with cooking spray. Combine remaining ingredients. Press into bottom and up sides of pan.
- Make the filling: Scrape vanilla seeds into a small saucepan, and add pod. Stir in soy milk and 2 tablespoons sugar, and bring to a boil. Whisk yolks, arrowroot or cornstarch, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a bowl. Add hot soy milk in a slow, steady stream, whisking until combined. Return to pan, and whisk over medium heat until thickened, about 2 minutes. Discard vanilla pod.
- Beat milk mixture and almond paste with a mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes. Beat in almond flour and cream cheese. Spread into tart crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Cover edges with parchment, then foil. Bake until set, 15 to 25 minutes more. Let cool completely in pan on a rack. Unmold. Spread jam evenly over the tart. Arrange berries on top.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.