Serve these waffles on their own as a fun breakfast or tasty snack, or pair with Sweet-and-Spicy Glazed Pork Belly for a delicious dinner.
The Martha Stewart Show, March 2010
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups medium cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 18 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving (optional)
- Unsalted butter, for serving (optional)
- Maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add chiles, season with salt, and cook until softened and slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat a Belgian waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt, and cayenne pepper. Add milk, remaining 2/3 cup olive oil, and eggs, and maple syrup, whisking to combine. Do not overmix; batter may be lumpy. Fold in the cheddar cheese and reserved sauteed chiles. Let batter rest at least 30 minutes at room temperature, and up to one hour.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour 3/4 cup batter into waffle iron. Cook until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Carefully remove waffle from iron and repeat process with remaining batter. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.