This delicious dinner of beef tenderloin with fresh horseradish and black-pepper crust has been adapted from "Emeril's Creole Christmas," written by Emeril Lagasse and Marcelle Bienvenu.
The Martha Stewart Show, December Winter 2008
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) beef tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence (http://www.marthastewart.com/255678/emerils-original-essence)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound fresh horseradish, peeled and grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Emeril's Homemade Worcestershire Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/255034/emerils-homemade-worcestershire-sauce)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub tenderloin with oil and Emeril's original essence. Heat a skillet large enough to hold the tenderloin over high heat for 2 minutes. Add meat and sear until evenly browned on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
- Line a shallow roasting pan fitted with a rack with aluminum foil. Place tenderloin on rack. Rub top and sides of meat with mustard.
- Combine horseradish, black pepper, garlic, and salt in a small bowl. Using your hands, press horseradish mixture over the mustard on the top and sides of tenderloin.
- Transfer to oven and roast about 30 minutes for rare or 35 minutes for medium-rare. Remove from oven and let stand at least 10 minutes before slicing. Serve hot or warm drizzled with homemade Worcestershire sauce.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.