- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup canned beef broth
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes.
This recipe is from Emeril Lagasse's column, Kick It Up.