Vegetable-Rice Bowl with Miso Dressing
Many of the ingredients used in this recipe can be found in Asian markets or mail-order sources. If you are on a low-sodium diet, use less miso dressing for drizzling.
Martha Stewart Living, January 2007
For the Condiments:
- 2 tablespoons dried arame or wakame (seaweed)
- 1 medium daikon radish, peeled and finely grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons ume plum vinegar
- 8 umeboshi plums, halved and pitted
- Gomashio (seasoning of toasted sesame seeds and sea salt)
For the Miso Dressing:
- 1 piece (1 inch) peeled fresh ginger, coarsely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons white miso paste
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
For the Vegetables and Rice:
- 1 cup dried red adzuki beans
- Sea salt or coarse salt
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces (about 4 cups)
- 14 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch-thick triangles
- 1/4 pound mixed hearty greens, such as kale, chard, and beet greens (about 8 cups), stemmed and chopped if large
- Put beans into a bowl; cover with water by about 2 inches. Soak overnight in the refrigerator. Drain beans; transfer to a medium saucepan. Cover with water by about 2 inches, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 30 minutes, seasoning with 1 teaspoon salt halfway through and adding more water if needed to keep beans covered. Drain.
- Rinse rice; drain. Transfer to a medium saucepan; add 3 1/4 cups cold water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, stir once, and reduce heat. Simmer until water has been absorbed and rice is tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes.
- For condiments, put seaweed into a small bowl; cover with cool water. Set aside until soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain.
- Place the bottom basket of a large 2-tiered bamboo steamer in a wok or large pan filled with about 1-inch simmering water (the water should just reach to bottom of basket; alternatively, use 2 pans fitted with steamer inserts). Carefully place squash slices in a single layer in bottom basket. Cover, and steam 10 minutes. Place tofu in a single layer in top basket, and top with greens. Cover, and carefully set atop bottom basket; steam until greens and squash slices are tender, 7 to 8 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, make the miso dressing: Process ginger, miso, tamari sauce, and 1/4 cup water in a food processor until smooth. With machine running, gradually add oil, and process until combined. Transfer to a small bowl; set aside.
- Toss together daikon and vinegar in a bowl; set aside. Spoon rice into each of 4 large serving bowls, and arrange beans, greens, tofu, squash, and seaweed on top, dividing evenly. Top each bowl with about 1 tablespoon daikon mixture and 2 plums. Drizzle with dressing, and sprinkle with gomashio.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.