The quesadillas can be assembled through step 3 several hours ahead of time; refrigerate until ready to bake. Serve them with your favorite salsa.
Everyday Food, March 2004
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces (2 1/4 cups) button or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces (about 8 cups) prewashed spinach, shredded
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 flour tortillas (8-inch)
- 8 ounces (2 cups) pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until they're tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add spinach in two batches, letting the first batch wilt slightly before adding the next; cook until spinach is completely wilted and mixture is dry, 2 to 3 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush one side of tortillas with remaining tablespoon oil. Place 4 tortillas, oiled sides down, on two baking sheets. Layer each tortilla with cheese, spinach mixture, and more cheese, dividing evenly. Top with the remaining 4 tortillas, oiled sides up, and lightly press to seal.
- Bake until cheese has melted and tortillas are golden brown, turning them once, about 10 minutes. To serve, cut quesadillas into quarters.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.