Vegetarian Eggplant Rolls with Savory Tomato Sauce and Fresh Ricotta Cheese
This tasty recipe for vegetarian eggplant rolls with savory tomato sauce and fresh ricotta cheese comes from chef Sara Foster.
The Martha Stewart Show, March 2007
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 large eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces fresh whole-milk ricotta cheese (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
- 8 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Savory Tomato Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/254815/savory-tomato-sauce)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Stir olive oil and vinegar together in a small bowl and brush onto both sides of the eggplant slices; season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill eggplant slices, turning once, until tender and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer eggplant slices to a rimmed baking sheet with the short ends facing you.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, Parmesan, and half of the basil; season with salt and pepper. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the cheese mixture onto each slice of eggplant and 1 inch from the bottom edge, leaving a 1/4-inch border on each side. Roll each slice away from you and arrange rolls, seam side down, on the baking sheet. Spoon tomato sauce over rolls and place them in the oven until warmed through, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan and remaining basil; serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.