Shell Steak with Shiitake Mushroom Sauce
Shell steak is sometimes called New York strip steak.
Martha Stewart Living, November 1994
- 2 boneless 1-pound shell steaks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped savory, plus sprigs for garnish, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup <u>Homemade Beef Stock</u>
- Rub both sides of the steaks with salt, pepper, and savory. Heat butter and oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat; add garlic cloves and steaks. Lower heat to medium, and cook steaks 4 to 6 minutes on each side for medium rare. Transfer steaks to a cutting board. Add mushrooms to the pan, raise heat to high, and saute for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer mushrooms to a small bowl.
- Discard garlic and fat from the pan. Add red wine and stock to the pan. Reduce over high heat, scraping bottom with a wooden spoon, until 1/2 cup of sauce remains. Combine with mushrooms.
- Cut beef crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and serve with mushroom sauce on the side.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.