Chocolate Cake for Cupcake Pops
This delicious chocolate cake recipe, adapted from Martha Stewart Kids, works wonderfully with Angie Dudley's Cupcake Pops.
The Martha Stewart Show, April Spring 2008
- Yield Makes one 9-by-13-inch cake
- Unsalted butter, for cake pan
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and dust with cocoa powder; tap out any excess; set aside.
- Sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer. Transfer bowl to mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With the mixer on low, beat in oil, buttermilk, vanilla, eggs, and hot water, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish, reserving any remaining batter for another use, such as cupcakes. Bake, rotating pan halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer cake to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before inverting to remove. Let cool completely on rack before using.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.