Sweet-and-Sticky Grilled Drumsticks
The syrupy glaze on these barbecued drumsticks results in a tangy, caramelized coating. We slow-grilled the chicken over medium heat to prevent flare-ups from the dripping sauce. Green-Cabbage Coleslaw makes a crisp side dish.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2007
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- Coarse salt
- Green-Cabbage Coleslaw with Vinaigrette (http://www.marthastewart.com/285477/green-cabbage-coleslaw-with-vinaigrette)
- Bring wine, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer until mixture has thickened to the consistency of honey, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool.
- Using a sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes through the skin and flesh on both sides of each drumstick (this will help the flavors permeate the meat).
- Preheat grill to medium-low. (If you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 7 seconds.) Place drumsticks on grill, and brush with sauce. Close cover, and grill 4 minutes. Flip chicken, and brush with sauce. Continue to cook, flipping and brushing with sauce every 4 to 5 minutes, until cooked through, about 20 minutes total. Season with salt. Serve with coleslaw.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.