- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (about 1 pound), trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add bell pepper, jalapeno, and red onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, 3 minutes. Add broccoli rabe; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 4 minutes. Stir in vinegar and sugar and cook 1 minute. Serve warm or at room temperature.
To mellow its flavor, precook broccoli rabe pieces in boiling salted water until leaves are wilted, about 1 minute, then drain and cook as directed.