Karen Averitt, Ted Turner's personal chef, shared this hearty yet lean bison meatloaf recipe.
The Martha Stewart Show
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for baking dish
- 2 pounds ground bison
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, quartered, seeded, and ribs removed
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, quartered, seeded, and ribs removed
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes, julienned
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a large baking dish; set aside.
- Place 1/2 pound ground bison, 1 piece of yellow pepper, 1 piece of red pepper, 1 piece of onion, 1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary, 1 1/2 teaspoons sage, 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, and 1/2 clove garlic in the bowl of a food processor; process until well combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Repeat process three more times with remaining bison, peppers, onion, rosemary, sage, oregano, and garlic.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to bowl with bison mixture and season with salt and pepper; mix until well combined. Using your hands, form bison mixture into a loaf and place in prepared baking dish. Transfer to oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, wine, and tomatoes to baking dish; bake, basting with juices every 15 minutes, until meatloaf is firm to the touch and pan juices are bubbly, about 1 hour more.
- Let meatloaf stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving with pan juices.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.