Baby Artichokes with Olives en Papillote
If baby artichokes are unavailable, you can use 2 medium artichokes. Prepare as directed below; remove the fuzzy chokes. Cut halves into 3 wedges, and divide among the 4 packets.
Martha Stewart Living, January 2006
- 8 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus 1/2 lemon for water and wedges for serving
- 8 fresh baby artichokes
- 1 bunch fresh thyme (about 48 sprigs)
- 1 garlic clove, very thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 brine-cured green olives, such as Picholine or Lucques, pitted and rinsed
- Aioli (http://www.marthastewart.com/281168/aioli)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut four 16-by-13-inch pieces of parchment paper; set aside. Fill a medium bowl with water; squeeze 1/2 lemon into water. Cut each artichoke in half lengthwise. Remove tough outer leaves; trim sharp tips with scissors and stems with a paring knife. Transfer to lemon water to prevent discoloration.
- Place about 12 thyme sprigs and a few garlic slices in center of 1 piece of parchment; top with 4 artichoke halves. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons lemon juice, then 1 tablespoon oil. Place 4 olives on top.
- Make a parchment packet: Bring long sides of parchment together. Make 1/2 inch fold, and crease; repeat twice, creasing firmly after each fold. Fold short ends downward, 2 or 3 times, creasing firmly after each fold. Tuck folded ends under packet; transfer to a baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining thyme, garlic, artichokes, lemon juice, and oil, for a total of 4 packets. Bake until artichokes are tender when pressed through packet, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve packets on plates with aioli and lemon wedges.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.