Chocolate Chip Meringues
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups superfine sugar
- 2 cups (1 twelve-ounce bag) semisweet chocolate chips
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Line several baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until they form soft peaks. Sprinkle a few spoonfuls of superfine sugar over the beaten egg whites, and whisk in on low speed to combine.
- Increase speed of mixer, and continue adding superfine sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking constantly, until all has been incorporated and mixture is firm enough to hold stiff and glossy peaks. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pipe or spoon small mounds of meringue mixture onto baking sheets, spacing mounds about 1 inch apart. Bake meringues until completely dry to the touch, about 3 hours.
- Transfer sheets to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Before serving, dust meringues with confectioners' sugar and cocoa powder.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.