Sharon's Potato Latkes
Sharon Lebewohl, author of "The 2nd Ave Deli Cookbook," shares her family's recipe for potato latkes. Served with cranberry-apple sauce and sour cream, these crispy, golden-brown pancakes taste best when they're eaten right away.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 2 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 large onions, quartered (about 1 1/2 cups grated)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups corn oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups matzo meal
- <u>Sharon's Applesauce</u>, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- In a food processor, finely grate potatoes (don't liquefy, leave some texture). Transfer to a colander to eliminate excess liquid. Transfer to a large bowl. Finely grate onions, and mix 1 1/2 cups into potatoes.
- Add eggs, baking powder, 3/4 cup corn oil, flour, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Fold in matzo meal, blending well.
- Heat remaining 1/2 cup corn oil in a deep skillet over low heat. With a large kitchen spoon, drop batter into pan, creating pancakes about 3 1/2 inches in diameter; be careful not to crowd them. Fry until underside is a deep golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and fry for 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with remaining batter. Drain latkes on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Serve with applesauce and/or sour cream.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.