Lamb Chops with Artichoke Hearts
Martha Stewart Living, April Spring 2004
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 4 shoulder lamb chops (1/2 inch thick each)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 or 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved crosswise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 artichoke hearts (water-packed, from one 14-ounce can), rinsed, drained, and each cut into 6 wedges
- 1/4 cup fruity white wine, such as a New Zealand Marlborough Valley Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 1 tablespoon lemon-zest strips
- Rinse chops; pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Cook lamb in two batches, turning once, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a platter; loosely cover with foil.
- Add onion and artichoke hearts to same skillet (add 1 tablespoon oil if skillet is dry). Cook over medium heat until softened and golden (do not brown), 3 to 5 minutes. Add wine; cook until almost all liquid is evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add stock and tomatoes; cover, and cook 3 minutes. Uncover; cook until sauce is reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in olives and zest. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon vegetables and sauce over lamb, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.