Unsweetened coconut is available in health-food stores.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 1995
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Reduce heat, and allow it to simmer. Place chocolate in a small bowl, and set over saucepan. Stir until chocolate is melted, and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cooled chocolate, cocoa, sugar, coconut, egg whites, vanilla, and salt. Use your hands to mix well, completely combining ingredients.
- Dampen hands with cold water. Form 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture into a loose haystack shape, and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture, placing macaroons 1 inch apart.
- Bake until just firm to the touch but still soft in the middle, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven to a wire rack, and let cool on baking sheet.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
© 2015 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.