Photography: Beatriz DaCosta
Holiday Cookies 2005
- 4 ounces almond paste (about 5 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Put almond paste, sugar, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until crumbly, about 3 minutes. Add egg white and vanilla. Mix until smooth and thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Drop batter by tablespoons onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Place 2 almond slices on each mound of dough. Bake until cookies are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Just before serving, lightly dust cookies with sugar.
Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.